Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday, July 10 in Jerusalem

Today began with a bus trip from Tantur into old Jerusalem.  Once again, I took the #21 Palestinian bus from Tantur.  It is Sunday which is a regular work day for many so there were a number of people headed for work.  The bus stop is right at the check point for those who live in Bethlehem but work in the Jerusalem area.
I got off the bus at the Jaffa Gate and with the aid of a map made it to the church.  The chapel is in the headquarters of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Jordan and the Holy Lands.  It is an English speaking congregation and is a mission of the ELCA.  We used the ELW and sang hymns I knew.  I was surprised about the strong feelings I had about being "home" in worship.  Having witnessed a number of different groups and services, I was glad to be with the group I call mine.
The following link is of a  video which gives a taste of the service.  It is a verse from the closing hymn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV-wOO0fxSQ

After worship and socializing, I found my way to the Western Wall of the Temple and then to the Davidson Center and The Archaeological Park.  The center studies the Temple area and the park is on the south and southwest wall areas of the Temple Mount.  The following pictures are from there.


This is a picture of the southern end of the West Wall. In the far corner, you can see some of the stones that were thrown from the wall by the Romans during the destruction of the Temple





This is a close up of some of those stones.



Another view of the stones.



This is a view of the city wall built during the time of Suleiman the Magnificent.


This is a picture of the south wall at the Huldah Gate.  This would have been in operation during Jesus' time.  I am in the photo to help give a sense of how large this is.

After leaving this area, I went up unto the Temple Mount itself. The following link is to a video I took which gives a panorama of just part of the Mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMZZa014b1I

I am also including some pictures I took of the area.


This picture is of the west side of the Al Aqsa Mosque.


This is a picture of the Dome of the Rock taken from the front of the Al Aqsa Mosque.



This photo is of an Arab Moslem who talked with me about the meaning of life and the perfection of the Quran.  Though I did not convert, we parted amiably.

After this, I found my way back and left through Herod's Gate.

 Herod's Gate.

I then found bus #21 for my ride back to Tantur.

Tomorrow our group leaves at 7:00 a.m to go north to Galilee.  I am looking forward to this section of the time in Israel as Galilee is the area where Jesus spent most of his life and minstry.
As it appears that a wireless connection will be harder to come by, I may not be posting as much as this past week.  Our itinerary has us in the Galilee for five days and four nights.
So, until I get back to this, God bless.




No comments:

Post a Comment